[aprssig] New n-N Paradigm FACTS

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sat Jan 29 08:17:51 EST 2005

Hello Keith,

At 19:55 28-1-2005 -0800, Keith - VE7GDH wrote:
>It isn't a problem with your ISP. It looks like the DNS for usna.edu isn't
>set up properly. See http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=usna.edu

Nice tool, thanks! Looks like they have to fix it, but who is going to tell
them (Bob?)?

>FWIW, I could browse to www.ew.usna.edu without having to mess with the
>hosts file. It could be "luck of the draw" depending on which DNS server
>your ISP uses and whether they happen to retrieve working or bogus DNS
>info for the domain you are trying to browse to.

My ISP doesn't have the address but other Dutch ISP's like Tiscali and
"Zeelandnet" have them, I used their nameservers for a while until they
blocked access from the Internet. So it looks like it depends on the way
the ISP has setup their systems. Maybe it depends on the software used on
the ISP's servers (Microsoft versus Linux) as well.

In the past Bob's addresses did resolve without problems, I can't remember
when the problems started but I think it has been over more than a year.

Beware that spyware removal programs may clear the "hosts" file since this
file is also abused by spyware and trojans to direct you to a different
site than intended. So keep a copy to put back when this happens.

You can also use "http://131.122.80.201/~bruninga/aprs.html" but for some
odd reason Bob uses absolute addresses in his links, so you run into
trouble when clicking one of his links (if they point to the same site that
is...).

Kind regards,

Henk.