[aprssig] Kenwood D7 not working with Garmin 76C

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Fri Jan 28 14:47:43 EST 2005

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it's not a hardware problem but, as
several suggest, it may be that the Kenwood firmware doesn't support the
latest NMEA protocol. Kenwood tech says my unit has the latest firmware
(2.0) but anyway, it's not their problem, they can't test every GPS, no
plans to do anything, etc... No help there. As Mike Edwards says, Garmin
just put out a software update that will allow NMEA  tuning. Garmin folks
say this might help me, though the upgrade is not for the 76C yet , but to
expect it soon. I'll look forward to it. Jason KG4WSV said his 60C works
with the D7, so I'm still worried. I'll let you all know if this turns out
to be  a generic problem or not with the Kenwood. In the meantime my old
Motorola Traxar, GPS II+ or GPS III+ will do APRS fine.

Bob Kirk
N3OZB