[aprssig] New n-N Paradigm FACTS

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Wed Jan 26 15:32:36 EST 2005

Hello Jose,

At 22:08 25-1-2005 -0200, GARCIA wrote:
>  I have tried to get APRSTEST.EXE but I think
>
>  my provider [uol.com.br] are blocked there,
>
>  then I can't get access to www.ew.usna.edu.

I think there is a problem with the domain, not all DNS servers seem to
carry it. My ISP, one of the biggest in The Netherlands, doesn't have it
for example. I used to have another DNS configured but most provides now
block the access outside their domain. I've send a mail to my provider
about it but never got an answer. I guess that's the penalty for using a
cheap provider.

Anyway, I "solved" it by adding two IP adresses to the "hosts" file in

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

I added:
131.122.80.201  www.ew.usna.edu
131.122.80.201  web.usna.navy.mil
131.122.80.201  cadigweb.ew.usna.edu

No idea why these adresses can not be resolved for everyone but al least
for me this gives me a way arround it. I almost forgot about it. Oh, you
can look up IP adresses on:

<http://www.dnsstuff.com/>

Just put the address in the "DNS lookup" box and hit "Lookup" to find the
IP address. Yes, its annoying, lucky enoug I never had to do this for any
other adres except Bob's.

Oh yeah, I added 3 addressed with the same IP address. They all it appeared
in one of Bob's links or in the mail but are all aliases (except
cadigweb.ew.usna.edu, that seems to be the "real" address). If you
encounter more aliases then just add those.

I don't know if it helped, but for me this works. Kind regards,

Henk.