[aprssig] Future Plans for New Radios with APRS support (Like the TM-D700A/TH-7)?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 21 15:37:18 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> Curt, WE7U wrote on 1/21/2005, 11:30 AM:
>
>  > Alinco has a 2-meter mobile rig with an optional TNC board.  The TNC
>  > is very similar what's in the Kenwoods though.
>
> The TNC chip is IDENTICAL to the one in the Kenwoods but without the
> extensive APRS terminal firmware and front panel display capabilities.
> You CAN connect an NMEA GPS receiver directly to the Alinco, but without
> an exernal computer, it's only a dumb tracker.  No RX and no messaging
> capabilities.

Thanks for the info.

The main reason I didn't buy the Alinco when it was first brought
out:  It couldn't digipeat.  I was hoping to have a digipeater in
the vehicle that could relay low-powered trackers into the network.
The Alinco was in my price range.

Nowadays I'd insist on full-rate KISS mode as well, so I could use
the TNC for TCP/IP, APRS, whatever I felt like.  Someday maybe we'll
have something like that in an affordable radio.  I'd like to see
separate serial ports on it for external GPS and external computer
connections as well.  Basically a KPC-3+ inside the radio is what
I'm after.