[aprssig] Future Plans for New Radios with APRS support (Like the TM-D700A/TH-7)?

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 15:25:43 EST 2005

Curt, WE7U wrote on 1/21/2005, 11:30 AM:

 > Alinco has a 2-meter mobile rig with an optional TNC board.  The TNC
 > is very similar what's in the Kenwoods though.

The TNC chip is IDENTICAL to the one in the Kenwoods but without the
extensive APRS terminal firmware and front panel display capabilities.
You CAN connect an NMEA GPS receiver directly to the Alinco, but without
an exernal computer, it's only a dumb tracker.  No RX and no messaging
capabilities.

 > I think there's another Kenwood with a TNC built-in.  2000?

The TS2000 which is a "DC-to-light" HF/VHF/UHF rig.  It's essentially a
enhanced TS-570 HF rig and a TM-G707 2M/UHF rig stuffed into one box.
One side is capable of 160-thru-UHF 100W output operation  on
SSB/AM/CW/FM (except on UHF which is 50W).  The other side is capable of
FM-only operation on 2M or UHF (one band at a time - no duplex; i.e.
just like a TM-G707).

When used mobile, the main radio box (about the size of a TS-450 or
TS-570) can mount in the trunk. A control head identical to the one on
the D700 can then remotely operate it.  [The control heads are literally
the same on the two radios. The host radio's firmware determines the
functions and labels of the various buttons on the head.]

Unfortunately the built-in TNC, while based on the same TASCO
TNC-on-a-chip as the D700 and TH-D7,  lacks the extensive APRS-oriented
firmware of the D700. You can't monitor/operate APRS with the built-in
display as on the D700. It was primarily intended for monitoring a DX
packet cluster on the VHF-only side, and then automatically tuning the
all-mode HF side to the freqs reported.  It also supports Kenwood's
"SkyCommand" system for remotely controlling the HF rig with a VHF/UHF
dual-band-duplex handheld.

The TNC WILL work with external APRS software (or any other packet
software for that matter).  The same INIT files used for the  TH-D7 and
D700 will work,  but the TNC lacks the dedicated GPS feedthrough port of
the TH-D7 or D700. Thus you will have to provide a second serial port on
the PC for mobile GPS-based operation.

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: