[aprssig] Why does...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 20 15:51:31 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> If you are using a "dumb" TNC that can't do anything but blindly echo
> the raw NMEA output of a GPS receiver onto the air, perhaps you should
> consider a TinyTrack.  It CAN do the short formats, AND can store two
> different path settings that are selectable in the field with a toggle
> switch.

Another excellent option is an OpenTracker.  It can send Base-91
compressed APRS packets which are quite short, normal APRS packets,
or OpenTrac packets.  It also does SmartBeaconing and most of the
other things you'd expect from a tracker.  Does a few things you
wouldn't expect it to do too, like one-wire weather sensor support
and 300-baud HF.  The code is open-source and the development tools
are available for free, so you can tweak the code to your liking if
you're so inclined.

    http://www.opentrac.org