[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 19 13:51:20 EST 2005

>... overlapping digi coverage around Albuquerque.  When
>driving around the local area I run 5 watts, simple whip,
> and RELAY,WIDE.  I often see 5 or 6 repeats of "My Position".

This is one of the main reasons for the New n-N paradigm.
Change this to simply the path of WIDE2-2 and you will
not see any dupes. (though you will see one copy for each
digipeater you can hear)...

The New n-N Paradigm includes  no longer encouraging
the use of RELAY,WIDE type paths which generage
explosive dupes.  The fill-in digipeaters that used to be
RELAY only should now support RELAY and WIDE2-2
or be full WIDEn-N or SSn-N digis.

>BTW, a way to test for how much "n-N" you need...
>is to send yourself a couple email messages.  Watch
>for a "My Message" echo so you know a digi saw you,
>and then wait for an ACK.  Do that a couple times at
>different path settings.  No ACK indicates you may need
>to increase the "N".

Maybe I am missing something, but this will tell you
nothig about getting into an IGate.  At the first digi
your station will see its own message and may
generate the ack there.  (though that shouldnt happen
since stations are not supposed to be capturing their
own packets...  You may want to elaborate a little more
on what you meant?

Bob

--
J. Gary Bender, WS5N
Tijeras, New Mexico USA

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:27:15 -0500, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> For NM (and AZ I think) which has most of their populations near the
> center of the state, I think the best fix wouild be:
>
> 1) Make UITRACE in all digis support NMn-N.  This will instantly
stop
> all WIDEn-N QRM
>
> 2) Put WIDE2-2 and WIDE3-3 in the UIDIGI list.  This will continue
> support mobiles driving through with those courteous paths.
>
> 3) They may leave UIFLOOD WIDEn-N in the extreme border digis
> (wilderness) since it wont hurt them in Albuquerque But These digis
will
> still have NMn-N too in the UITRACE parameter.
>
> THey can do this overnight.  Done.
>

> THis lets the WIDEn-N fly around the wilderness edges of the state,
but
> dones not focus it all inward which is what is happening now...
>
> de WB4APR, Bob
> .
>

> Easiest fix it sounds like in NM is to turn all the digis into NMn-N
new
> mexico digis.  This will work wonderfully in states like Arizona and
NM
> where most of the central population is central to the state.
>
> Or if NM or Arizona wants to continue to support WIDEn-N, then
simply
> trap-out WIDE4-4, WIDE5-5 and WIDE6-6 by putting those in the UIDIGI
so
> that they get stopped at the border.
>
> Actually, I think that is how I woiuld do it.  Keep WIDEn-N in those
> states, but get EVERY DIGI in ALL states to start traping out
WIDE5-5, 6-
> 6

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:53:33AM -0700, we recorded a
bogon-computron
> collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
>

>> Hey, I'm in Clovis, New Mexico -- that's about 200 miles east of
>>

>> Albuquerque and only 100 miles northwest of Lubbock, Texas, in
>>
> DM84jk.
>

> I live near Escabosa, NM, about 20 mi. SE of Albuquerque, in DM64ux.
My