PHG (was Re: [aprssig] Bob B statements)

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Jan 19 13:17:21 EST 2005

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U wrote on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 9:31 AM PST

> Okay, but what is the correct format for the height and gain?
> Guess I need to check out the APRS spec. ;-)

It would be a good idea to read over the APRS spec, but you can find some online PHG calculators at...

www.nashvilleaprs.net/apps/phgcalc.php
www.apritch.myby.co.uk/phgrcalc.htm

Remember that the height is not just straight elevation. It is height above average terrain. If you are on a bump that sits 200 feet above a completely flat plain that is at 2000 feet elevation, your height above average terrain would be 200 feet. If you are in hilly country, it gets a bit trickier.

Apparently UI-Traffic has a PHG calculator, but I couldn't see any info about it (not installed)
www.apritch.myby.co.uk/addon_uiviewand32.htm#traffic

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH