[aprssig] Bob B statements

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.com
Wed Jan 19 04:22:19 EST 2005

> I'm sorry you see it as arrogance and demeaning, but
> in Ham Radio, knowing and seeing the approximate relative
> range of communications of stations and assets is
> fundamental to being  able to communicate in the field.
> PHG is fundamental to APRS.

I specifically meant the quote:
"But since one of the most popular "APRS" clients doesn't
even display PHG ranges to its users, we are ending up with
a generation of APRS users who are blind to the APRS RF
network, connectivity, loading and proper RF settings."

to be arrogant and demeaning in the way you uses the quotes to describe the
APRS client as if Ui-View was not worthy as an APRS client or those that use
the program as not on par with your belief or ways of using APRS.
Furthermore, you take a potshot at a program the you know will not be
enhanced because of the demise of the author. The program was evolving and
Roger was constantly adding features until he could no longer. PHG
calculation may have been one of the features planned but we'll never know.
Roger did have the forethought to build in hooks to allow add-on programs to
interface to the Ui-View program. This would allow the addition of a PHG
calculator should a programmer decide he or she wanted to program it. While
Ui-View does not have the PHG calculation built in to the program, it is
very easy to generate an overlay to show the PHG in any given area. In
addition, PHG is only as good as the data input to make the calculations. In
addition, there is a program available, RadioMobile that -will- allow the
generation of RF networks on a very good map should a user need the RF
information. The maps generated by this program can be seamlessly used in
UiView as well as WinAPRS and possibly Xastir.

While the PHG calculation is not automatic, there certainly are ways to get
that information should it be needed. This brings up another point. As you
have said many times, APRS is for LOCAL tactical use. Most UiView users will
already -know - the lay of the land of the RF network capabilities. While
digis come an go, the RF assets in a given local are not so fluid that we
need to have PHG ranges cluttering up our screens.

UiView holds approximately a seventy percent share of APRS users and has
been the major reason for the influx of the new generation of APRS users.
Yes, many newcomers don't know all the intricacies of the APRS system but
this is where education and local help is needed and available.

> I do not use APRS on the internet, I like the radio side of
> Ham Radio for local communications.

As I'm sure many do but there are growing numbers augmenting the use of the
internet to their RF use to enhance the APRS experience. I do take into
account the internet may not be available and have set up my station for the
situation as I'm sure many have.

> I'm just a user like everyone else.  But APRS is not an end
> in itself.  It is only a tool in support of communications needs.
> I'm sorry that you take it badly, but when I find glaring
> errors in software that prevents me from doing what I need
> to do, I complain...

I agree APRS is not an end in itself and serves as a vital tool in Ham Radio
for communications needs. I'm not saying you should not complain, only that
complaining does not offer any real solutions. The thing is, many of the
complaints you have about UiView have been addressed and I'm sure other
features will be added as add ons should the pressing need arise.

> Someone has to point out the shortcomings that
> impact us today so that future authors don't make the same
> significant omissions and just think of APRS as some
> internet video game...   de WB4APR, Bob

Your comparison of UiView to an internet video game is again inflammatory.
The majority of users I'm sure view the use of UiView as something more than
a video game.

73,

Randy, KK6RW