[aprssig] A few thoughts from the road

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Wed Jan 19 02:53:33 EST 2005

	Hey, I'm in Clovis, New Mexico -- that's about 200 miles east of
Albuquerque and only 100 miles northwest of Lubbock, Texas, in DM84jk.

	I just got home from a week on the road.  Had a lot of time to think about
things and listen to the actual audio on 144.39 around the country.  It was
pretty busy in Salt Lake city, not quite so busy near Albuquerque, and
absolutely SILENT across Nebraska.  (It was also extremely COLD up
there!  Brr!!!!!)  Light traffic in Wyoming and Kansas, at least the part
of those states where I was.

	I understand (and this is only hearsay, not confirmed by me) that the
digis around Lubbock no longer do WIDEn-N and don't respond to RELAY
either.  Too bad, my dumb tracker uses both and I have no way to change the
path, it's all burned into the chip.  It also is going to totally kill any
path we ever might have had between Clovis and Lubbock.  With my ALOHA
circle averaging 250-300 miles, such a path shouldn't be a bad thing, but I
guess that's over now.

	Which brings up another thought I had -- why such a rush to move away from
WIDEn-N everywhere?  Oh, I understand what conditions are like all up and
down the east coast, but I don't think we have anything like that here.  It
looks to me as if we have taken out fledgling network and killed it.  I
sure don't understand why there is such a mad rush to do that out here.

	Why do people refuse to acknowledge that conditions vary across the country?

	In looking over the hundreds of email messages that were waiting for me, I
see some people trying to eradicate UI-View.  I sure don't understand that,
either -- UI-View is one of the most EXPANDABLE programs around.  Addons
are always turning up for that program.

	Lots of questions, but one thing's for certain -- it's almost 1 AM and I'm
off to bed.  Nice to be back -- I think!  <G>

	7 3
	Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info