[aprssig] APRS in SouthEast Ireland

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 16 13:50:10 EST 2005

John,
If TNC can only support one ALIAS make it WIDE
if it has multiple aliases use RELAY, WIDE, WIDE2-2 and ILAND2-2
If it is a KPC-3+ with UIFLOOD and UITRACE support
then make UITRACE be WIDE,30
and make UIFLOOD be ILAND,30,NOID

This will support users who use any of the APRS generic
paths including WIDEn-N and ILANDn-N.  Eventually when
you get more than about 100 users full time, then you
can start doing some of them ore detailed stuff to cut down
on interferece.

Bob, Wb4APR

Then tell users to use the path of WIDE

>>> aprssig at ei7ig.org 01/15/05 6:19 PM >>>
Hi There,

I've been experimenting with APRS in South East Ireland for just over
12 months now (packet is pretty much dead around here), slowly getting
people interested. I've tried out the TinyTrackIII, PocketTracker,
Opentrac, and recently took the plunge and purchased a TM-D700 (very
nice radio I must say.. need the DMF keypad though).

EI8JA and I wish to start building an APRS network infrastructure. We
have access to a site (Mt Leinster) at 2600ft ASL and were going to
start by putting a TNC with an alias of WIDE up there as it pretty much
can see most of the South East of Ireland. I've been acting as an IGate
for a good while now using xastir and have line of site to Mt Leinster.

Anyways my question is this, as this is pretty much a green field site,
what traps should we try and avoid falling into?  I would like to
benefit from your wisdom and experience folks!

I shall now return to digging in the archives.

Regards
de John
EI7IG

--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg dot org>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org