[aprssig] Earthquake in APRS?

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Sat Jan 15 23:25:24 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Mills" <archer at eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Earthquake in APRS?

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Steve Dimse wrote:
>
>> On 1/13/05 at 11:04 PM Wolf Hoeller <wolf.hoeller at gmx.net> sent:
>>
>> >Are earthquakedata feed on a regular basis into the APRS-IS?
>> >I din't find a hint on findu.com for this.
>> >In my understanding it must be a positionreport with tlm-data.
>>
>> Here is the link you are looking for:
>>
>> http://w9if.net/iweb/quakeaprs/
>
> w9if and we7u (me!) feed data into aprs-is.  I limit them to
> magnitude 3.0 and above.  I also feed quakes into firenet, with no
> lower limit on the magnitude numbers.  That one's kind of fun
> because you can see where the fault lines are quite easily on the
> map due to all of those extra little quakes.

When I show people APRS, it's usually on my laptop and I tell them a little
about the map I use and then zoom in and out to show off the seemless
mapping.  Then I go into showing them the symbols that APRS places on the
map.  Almost always I get "What are those, earthquakes or something?"  I
have to laugh because most of the folks live in California or have lived
there can tell what they are pretty much by where the symbols are on the
map!  With the earthquake representation on FireNet, you can pretty much
tell where the beach front property is going to be someday!  I did NOT move
far enough away from California, but I think I am safe out here in the
desert!

Cheers!

Jim, WA6OFT