[aprssig] wifi and aprs?

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) ajfarmer at spenet.com
Wed Jan 12 23:55:16 EST 2005

Interesting idea.  I think you would be surprised at the number of AP's you
can pick up once you get up in the air.

You might look at some of these mobile antennas:

http://www.jefatech.com/category/antennas.mobile/

Might be worth a try.  The magnets in them are pretty strong although I
don't know if they would hold on at 100+ MPH.  It will at least get your
antenna outside of the aircraft so you have a better chance.

You also might consider a high powered WiFi card which will increase your
range:

http://www.jefatech.com/product/2511CDPLUSEXT2

You can also set up a high gain omni outside for the access point that is on
the ground:

http://www.jefatech.com/category/antennas.omnidirectional/

Or even these which are simple and easy to install:

http://www.jefatech.com/product/IN245RD

JEFA Tech supports the ARRL HSMM (High Speed Multimedia) Group which does
this kind of experimenting with WiFi.  There are a lot of Amateurs out there
with WiFi projects.  You can use the code HSMM during the checkout to get a
10% discount.

Good luck!