[aprssig] wifi and aprs?

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Jan 12 23:29:22 EST 2005

Has anyone ever used 802.11b/g from an air plane?  I mean small plane.... not
commercial.  I'm wondering about downlinking data collected from Garmin RINO
units and APRS trackers via 802.11.  Would be neat to use a webcam too.

What range can we expect?  What antennas were used?  Anyone thought about
automatic antenna aiming using APRS position reports of the plane?

Is this a "you're in range for 20 seconds thing, or is this something we could
aim a 15 db yagi out the passenger compartment window (ie down the wing,
perpendicular to the plane's travel) and pivot about a fixed point to keep the
yagi aimed at the wifi AP?

Wes