[aprssig] More on polling the d7/ d700

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Jan 12 17:24:19 EST 2005

I ran my test yesterday too...  It was the first time I ran a test that didn't
have a basic stamp involved in recent memory.

My hope was that we could work out some sort of digipeater polling scheme where
the digi could poll the d700's as network congestion permitted.  The users
would run a beacon rate of 30 minutes and the digi would make them beacon more
often.

We tried it and the ?APRSS message packet makes the radio ACK the message, then
a few seconds later send a posit.  This non-contiguous ACK/POSIT adds enough
uncertainly that I don't think this will be the solution I was looking for.

Good info though on the BCN being off.... not sure how much power u gunna save
though.... the quiescent current is the killer.... Can't remember how many mA
it draws just sitting idle, but it's considerable, esp when you consider it may
transmit every 30 minutes.   Depends on your needs though....

Would be kinda slick to use a pocket tracker when the kenwood was off though....
that would be power thrifty.

Wes