[aprssig] More on polling the d7/ d700

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed Jan 12 15:30:49 EST 2005

Herb sent this to me privately and it got me to thinking so I conducted some
tests with my d7 and d700 and I am posting the reply back to the list

The D700 indeed will respond with a posit on receipt of the message to
itself with "?APRS?" Embedded in the text. It will do so regardless of the
status of the BCON . ON or OFF it will beacon in response. The only way it
won't is if the TNC is not enabled or it doesn't have a good posit.

This means that you could set the d700 to absolute minimum current demand,
light off, second channel off, digipeat only on an oddball call, read the
GPS and fix set the lat/long and turn off GPS and then
poll it occasionally to get a relative position to yourself. I think you
could easily halve or third the drain on the battery.

--
Cheers ... 73 de brian, n1bq, underhill center, vermont