[aprssig] findU bogged down...

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jan 10 12:27:08 EST 2005

On 1/10/05 at 10:50 AM Chuck Milam, KF9FR <KF9FR at arrl.net> sent:

>How are you paying for the bandwidth?  Hardware is one thing, but
>bandwidth must be a killer!

Might not be, the bandwidth is around a Terrabyte a month, there are places like
serverbeach that put you on a dedicated machine with 2 TB/month for 100/month.
Their servers are not nearly powerful enough for my needs, but the bandwidth is.
I never looked for paid colo sites, but I suspect they are in the same general
range. Since I have spent around $4k on a server every year I've been doing the
APRS IS and findU (Moore's Law is keeping up with demand), the bandwidth would
be less than the server by a good margin...

Fortunately, the colo site is donated by a ham who is the CTO of a large hosting
company, so I don't have to know...

Steve K4HG