[aprssig] Unwanted IGATEing

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Jan 9 12:18:28 EST 2005

On 1/9/05 at 9:54 AM Earl Needham <needhame1 at plateautel.net> sent:

>         You wanna know what else?  The email address in his position
>report BOUNCES

Didn't bounce for me. My guess is in the following line:

KE5GD>APS224,TCPIP*,qAC,KE5GD:=3221.09N/09945.99Wroralsurg at cox.net

you mistook the r, which under the APRSspec is the icon character, as part of
the email address. QRZ gives his email address as oralsurg at cox.net as well.

I'm presuming from your message this means you have never made any contact with
him. A quick Google of his name and address from QRZ reveals a phone number of
915-691-1140 from a listing of dentists in Abilene.

The internet really makes this sort of thing easy, and if one takes a little
time one can usually come up with contact information. I've sent a short polite
note asking him if he is aware of the problem and offering help if he needs it.

I'd bet a lot of hard cash this guy is just excited about the technology, and no
one ever contacted him about the problems he was causing. A little friendly
conversation could have resolved this with a lot less angst...

Steve K4HG