[aprssig] Re: Another Source of Network Overload ?? -- SuperSUPERLAN

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Jan 7 13:12:05 EST 2005

> >I let it go once...    9600 with real 9600 radios is not going to be
> >using 500 millisecond TXdelays.  There's no technical reason it can't
> >use 50 or even 5 milliseconds.   The Kantronics D4-10 could do that
> >and it's something like 10 years old.
>
> I tell you what, call me when 10,000 APRS people have them
> in their hands.... thanks.  In the mean time, I'll spend my time
> designing systems that use what people have now...
>
> Bob

The blanket statement was that "packet at 9600 is only twice
as fast as 1200."

That is not true.  Saying so as a general statement can lead folks to
think it's not worth the effort to persue better systems.

For an APRS specific superlan configuration, you only need one D4-10 or equivalent
for the transmitter.  As long as going to all that effort, might as well do
it right.

I'm not knocking the Kenwoods (too much.)

I'm begging for info that they (D700/D7/FT817) really work at 9k6 with an external TNC.

I've been trying to get the point across for years since the day at the DCC in
Phoenix where the D700 was introduced that it's so so so close to being an
incredible system for all packet and not just APRS.

We desperately need a frequency agile multiband radio that really does 9k6
or better.  It's possible that, with the external TNC, the D700/D7 is the
best option out there.   It's only 1/3 the cost of the ICOM satellite radio
I picked up a few years ago to use as a frequency agile 9k6 rig.

A D700 with a built in TNC that worked would be a better deal in many
cases then the ICOM D-Star.

The Kenwoods are like high performance sports cars -- with one tire low
on air.    I'm begging Kenwood to get a clue and air up the tire.   Sure, you
get better gas mileage going slow but that's not what it's about.

Maybe if Kenwood listened they'd have 20,000 or 30,000 radios in
the field instead of only 10,000..  I know I'd want to buy two or three.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP