[aprssig] WIDEn-N in SOCAL (interstates)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:06:49 EST 2005

The topic of the original post was the LA Basin.  In that
area the major corridors are the 3 routes listed plus the
Coast.  Yes,  there are MANY more corridors throughout
the state.  thanks ...  Bob

>>> smokeybehr at sbcglobal.net 1/7/05 1:14:59 AM >>>
>By limiting the coverage to just those 3 interstates, you're
>neglecting about 75% of the state. Remember that there's I-80 going
>from SF to Tahoe; SR99 from Bakersfield to Redding straight up the
>center of the Valley, possibly to become I-9 if legislation gets
passed; US101, which is the major artery up the coast between LA and
SF, and north to the CA/OR border; and I-40, from Barstow to Needles.

The minimum digi count to cover I-5 and SR99 through the valley
(Bakersfield to Redding) is at least 5, and possibly 7. For US101,
it's probably worse (10+ for 90% coverage) because of the terrain and
distance.

I-80 is probably the easiest, with 3-4 digis to cover the whole route
in CA.

The idea of a super-net recently proposed is a good idea. A back-haul
on 430 MHz at 9600+ between high-level digis along a route with a feed
to the Internet would be an excellent idea.

--
John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
IPN-CAL023 N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5