[aprssig] WIDEn-N in SOCAL (interstates)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:02:06 EST 2005

>>> greg at clubnet.net 1/5/05 12:26:35 PM >>>
>Well, I think it still has questionable merit here.  Let us say we
>limit application to only I-5, I-10 and I-15.  Given the terrain we
>have in the area, we have multiple digis that see pieces of all three

>interstates, yet no one digi see all portions of any one of them .
How
>do you allocate a particular digi to a particular interstate with
>##LINKn-n?

Ah, that is the design challenge.  Freom what I hear,
SoCal has so many digis all stepping all over each other
that you should be able to find a combination that would
give the coverage along each.

Remember, the goal of a Interstate named LINKn-N system
is NOT to then bring in all the traffic from all three
LNKn-N's and dump it in the middle of the LA basin.

The intent of a LNKn-N system is to get those packets to
the outskirts of a population area where it can relliably
find an IGate or people who need to use it can
get to it.  Not to just add more flooding to the area.

Each digi can support up to two interstates if it has to.
I just cant imagine that you cannot find a solution
that would give the connectivity that is needed.
Worse comes to worse, simply add another TNC
at the site and parallel it so you can use two more.

But I really think that if that is required then this
digi site is too h igh and is seeing too much, and
this then is just the wrong approach..

Remember, LOW digis where needed are much
better than HIGH digis that hear too much...

Bob