[aprssig] Another Source of Network Overload ?? -- Too Many WX Stations Close Together.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 6 20:28:49 EST 2005

Phil,
I appreciate the innovation, but its a waste of time.  As Jim
points out 9600 baud one-packet at a time with TXdelays
barely even doubles throughput.  If you want to seggegate
WX, just put them all on another 1200 baud channel.
That can support 60 WX stations per area per channel.
Leave one every 10 miles on 144.39 tho for the mobiles...  Bob

>>> ad6nh at arrl.net 1/6/05 7:59:48 PM >>>
This is one reason why I'm testing a low-level 9600 baud system in So.

Cal.  One of my proposals was to have the massive number of RF weather

stations, which are fixed point stations, use the 9600 baud RF network

to send their packets.  I currently have the 9600 channel (which has
QSYd to 438.975 since my last post) set up as an IGate to feed the
internet stream.  It would be one way in which 9600 works well.  Then,
local network could designate certain weather stations to be repeated
on
2m (or use the ones who are unable to switch to 9600 baud).  Something

like that; like I said, it's an idea and we're testing.

BTW, I have eliminated the blanket gating to the 144.39 1200 network.

Since the 438.975 channel is now an IGate, it will pass messages
between
the 1200 and 9600 networks only when necessary.

73
Phil - AD6NH

Stephen H. Smith wrote:

>I am currently in a Denver motel room (waiting for a car repair after

>skidding off I-76 during Tuesday's storm) monitoring APRS via the
>Internet stream.
>
>Looking at the area around me here in the Denver area, I was struck by

>the huge number of weather stations located very close together.
>
>Here's a map captured from UI-View after listening to the APRS
internet
>stream for less than 3 minutes!
>
>     http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/aprs/DenverAPRS_WX.gif
>
>[ I have filtered out over 30 non-RF Citizens Weather stations that
were
>also on the map. ]
>

>Allowing for the fact that some are up in the Front Range thousands of

>feet above the plains but only a few miles farther west, there still
>seem to be an excessive number located in the flatlands along I-25.
>

>1)  Note the cluster of 4 in the area between Longmont and Fort
Collins