[aprssig] 9600 baud SuperSite for LA

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Thu Jan 6 18:56:06 EST 2005

Bob and All,

I ran 9600 baud nodes for a few years.....as a backbone for 220 2400 baud
nodes and 2m 1200 bad nodes as well as running a node on a 4800 baud 6m
system.
Guess what?  9600 baud is not going to fix So Cal.  It's not as fast as you
think in a Packet mode.  And with most all the amateur mods, the radios
pretty much have the same txd's and tails, etc.  The actual savings is not
impressive.  And that is not to mention the added bandwidth required which
requires paths that are better designed, etc.
So Cal area needs to be focusing on real microwave backbones running 56k or
T1 or better in a full duplex link arrangement.  THAT's why the internet
works so good as a backbone....it's cheap, it's there, and it works!
Regards,
Jim, WA6OFT