[aprssig] digipeter determination

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu Jan 6 17:28:41 EST 2005

I've been following the discussion lately and I have come up with a question.

If I were about to setup a digipeter, what would the criteria for determining
what type of digipeter I should put up?

Here's my logic and the criteria that I have arrived. Tell me where I am wrong
in mylogic.

To be a RELAY digipeter, you need to be able to hear and be heard by one (and
preferably only one) WIDE digipeter, zero other RELAY digipeters and less than
20 stations direct and 1 or more stations directly that you do not hear
digipeted via your local WIDE (i.e., you hear one of the WIDE's blindspots).
If the WIDE that you can hear can hear everything that you hear, then a RELAY
in this area would only generate QRM, right?

To be a WIDE (or ANYn-n) digipeter, you need to be able to hear and be heard
by two or more (no more than 4) other WIDE digipeters and less than 20
stations direct or 40 stations direct and via RELAY.

To be a SUPERLAN digipeter, you need to hear 2 or more WIDE digipeters.

To be an I-Gate, you need to hear and be heard by one or more WIDE or SUPERLAN
digipeters.

What are your thoughts on the above criteria?

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net