[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:18:08 EST 2005

>>> josecanuc at gmail.com 1/6/05 1:02:43 PM >>>
>> Its works just like the APRS-IS.  Everything from up to 8
>> ALOHA areas all goes in to the 9600 buad UHF backbone:
>> * Anyone who wants to see EVERYTHING tunes in UHF at 9600
>
>Where does a person who wants to see EVERYTHING
>transmit his/her position?

Yes, 1200 baud to their local ALOHA area is the simplest.

>Will the 9600 BIG stream ever "pause" to listen, supposing
>the full datastream gets up to near 9600bps?

Good point.
That's a possibility , but the problem with APRS at 9600
baud is that each transmission contains only one line
of data, and the overhead is much more than that.  So
it is just very innefficinet to stop the 9600 baud feed
to open a window for a single packet to come in.

I think the solution is to also have a VHF 9600 baud
receiver at the Super Site that is also listening full time
to that 9600 baud channel for the uplinks from the
superusers...  That way, it remains full duplex, and
the user can use his Kennwood which can operate
cross band at 9600 baud.

Thanks, Ill add that to the plan....

Bob, WB4APR