[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 6 12:53:24 EST 2005

>>> Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> 1/6/05 11:43:42 AM >>>
>As far as I can tell, the only way for 9600 baud to improve
>"A tactical  real-time local ad-hoc network for digital comms
> is for _all_ nodes to switch to 9600 baud.

First as has been discussed ad-nausium here is the fact that
switching to 9600 baud at the user only gains at most a
factor of 2 gain due to the TX delays and other overhead,

If you are talking about Nodes, then yes, that is the whole
point.  The nodes have to feed to the combined feed at
9600. that is what the 9600 baud UHF backbones that
I have been talking about since Sept 2003 are all about.

>Sorry, but that statement is wrong.  I began my first message with an

>example of a real network that had everything on a single layer 2
>ethernet, but no layer 3.  Doing nothing more than adding layer 3
>replacing some layer 2 devices with layer 3 routers) improved that
>network orders of magnitude.  The same basic networking principle
_can_
>improve the APRS network.

But your example is not a one-to-all.  It is a point-to-point and has
10 megabyit bandwidth.   That is on another planet compared to
APRS one-to-all communications with 1200 baud radios.

Bob