[aprssig] Major Problems Developing on 30 Meters APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 6 09:03:53 EST 2005

Yes, this total distruction of the APRS 30m HF frequency
recently  is simply the fault of the client software that
takes no responsiblity for NETWORK STEWARDSHIP!

APRS software is supposed to prevent or severly admonsih
anyone from passing VHF traffic to HF or doiong anything
else that is known to be bad for the network.  But I think UIview
has no network stewardship built-in at all.

>>> oh2kku at iki.fi 1/6/05 5:13:15 AM >>>
I monitored the 30m APRS frequency for a few days a couple of weeks ago

on this side of the pond. What I saw was not good. It looked as if
there
were multiple vhf<->hf bidirectional gateways that don't filter on the

vhf->hf direction. And with no filtering I mean wide and trace on 2m
are
gated to HF too. Full of QRM, paths like wide7-7,trace7-7 are
commonplace.

Or at least that is what it looked like to me watching from the side.
There is not that much activity on 30m here in the north, almost all
stations I could hear were from middle Europe, a lot og DL, F and G
stations. Only a few of the digipeaters were strong enough to decode
here, but listening to the faint sounds by ear it seemed like there was

an almost constant stream of traffic.

   Tapio