[aprssig] Major Problems Developing on 30 Meters APRS

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Jan 6 05:13:15 EST 2005

I monitored the 30m APRS frequency for a few days a couple of weeks ago
on this side of the pond. What I saw was not good. It looked as if there
were multiple vhf<->hf bidirectional gateways that don't filter on the
vhf->hf direction. And with no filtering I mean wide and trace on 2m are
gated to HF too. Full of QRM, paths like wide7-7,trace7-7 are commonplace.

Or at least that is what it looked like to me watching from the side.
There is not that much activity on 30m here in the north, almost all
stations I could hear were from middle Europe, a lot og DL, F and G
stations. Only a few of the digipeaters were strong enough to decode
here, but listening to the faint sounds by ear it seemed like there was
an almost constant stream of traffic.

   Tapio