[aprssig] Major Problems Developing on 30 Meters APRS

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 18:56:24 EST 2005

I have been driving cross-country again from Michigan back to California
via I-80, I76, I-70 and I-15 and have spent many hours monitoring 30M HF
APRS while on the road in more remote areas.  As monitored in the
Mid-West and Great Plains, the amount of activity heard is far far
higher than I hear at home in Pasadena, CA, and a lot more than I heard
on a similar trip last March.

1)  I'm beginning to see a lot of useless beaconing of home stations
that are not gates, igates, etc.

2)  Increasing numbers of clueless and ill-conceived paths such as
"ECHO, ECHO, GATE" that are generating even more unneccessary clutter on
the channel.  I am hearing west coast home stations, doing nothing,
showing up in the midwest with two or three successive transmissions.
Perhaps the most idiotic path I monitored in the last two days was:
    ECHO,ECHO,GATE,WIDE3-3,GATE      ( ! )

In my experience, there is really no reason to ECHO or GATE at all if
all you are trying to do is show up on the internet.  There are a lot of
"invisible" igates monitoring 10.149  that don't transmit.  In my tests
in the remotest areas (monitoring my own webserver via a mobile Wi-Fi
connection while transmitting on the HF rig), I have NEVER failed to get
to the Internet with NO PATH AT ALL !!

3)  Excessively long comment fields ala VHF are beginning to appear on
30M along with a few clueless users sending raw NMEA strings (i.e. dumb
TNC) instead of using more compact formats.    Raw NMEA at 300 baud
takes forever and has a virtually zero chance of being successfully
received!

4)  Increasing numbers of stations attempting to converse via APRS
messages, either RF-to-RF or RF-to/from-igates creating large numbers of
retries since the ack gets missed so often.

4)  A Pactor BBS systems (Winlink ???) has taken up residence just below
10.149 and renders the APRS channel unusable whenever it is in operation.