[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:15:24 EST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 2:55 PM, Wes Johnston wrote:

> problem is, it requires smarts in the client.  This is neat, but very
> idealistic and not likely to
> happen any time soon.

Right.  For any solution to be viable, it will require that it work
with the vast majority of existing hardware.

> Digi-ned can do

... lots of good stuff, maybe even everything I'm talking about.

> Alas, this would require major hardware upgrades at each digi site.

And that's the show-stopper for digi- ned.  We need something cheap,
simple, low-powered (roughly same power requirements as a TNC), and can
drop in to augment or replace existing digis.  Adding a full PC pretty
much fails all those requirements.

-Jason
kg4wsv