[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Jan 5 15:55:11 EST 2005

I'd love to see a DHCP type system... my "client" sees a smart digi nearby and
sends a DHCP sort of packet.  The answer comes telling my client how to set
it's path and TX rate.  As my client also registers with the digi as a DAMA
type config where I beacon at some dramatically reduced rate (like 10 minutes)
when inside the smart network.  The digi would recognize that I am "registered"
with it, and poll my station as often as network capacity dictates.  This has
the other advantage that other clients can hear a poll for another user and
they will hold off any transmissions they may want to make for 2 extra seconds
after a poll.  This is phil karn's ACK/NAK system...  problem is, it requires
smarts in the client.  This is neat, but very idealistic and not likely to
happen any time soon.

Another way would be to have the smarts in a digi only.  Digi-ned can do path
substitution.  You set up path substitution such that any packet with any alias
other than RELAY in it will be substituted with the correct packet for that
area.  Packets with RELAY and specific callsigns listed are not altered... this
allows me to manually override any path changes made by the nodes.  For example,
if I TX a packet with R,W,W , a digined node could alter my path to suit local
customs.  If I send a packet with R,kd4xyz,w5lid,k2jjj digi ned would _not_
alter that path at all.  Alas, this would require major hardware upgrades at
each digi site.  Not impossible, but face it, hams are a bunch of tight fisted
Sweet Old Boys.  This system is do-able today.

Wes