[aprssig] Xastir on Windows, was Re: Slashdot article

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 5 16:02:30 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, aa8ei wrote:

> That post was a challenge. Point is to make it soooooo easy to install
> xastir it serves the need for emergency response.
>
> The CD is probably the easiest way, but consider the difficulty of getting
> to the station(s) needing it.
>
> Assume I haven't the time to hunt it down. Then what?
>
> Consider how easy the Windows software can be obtained. What about the OS
> installed on the target computers?

Easiest would actually be to have a Knoppix or Morphix CD with
Xastir installed on it ready-to-go.  Boot the computer from the CD
and you're up and running, no install to the hard drive necessary.
Doesn't matter whether the PC was running Windows, dos, or Linux
before you started.

Several people have talked about doing this in the past, including
me.  To my knowledge it has yet to be done.  Just needs someone to
do it.