[aprssig] WIDEs

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 14:51:20 EST 2005

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 1/5/05 11:54:37 AM >>>
>If you had wide,wide,wide,wide,wide,wide,wide,wide
>as the path, and two digipeaters near each other responded
>to wide, it'd go back and forth between them just like a pong
>game.  Really sucks, but that's the way it is.

That was true back before 1996 when there was no callsign
substitution.  There shouldbe very few if any WIDE-only
digis left.  All digis except a WIDE-only digi will do callsign
substitution and so there cannot be any "ping-pong".

But there are dupes.  Because even a callsign substitution
digi only makes sure it will not digipeat THAT packet again.
But if it gets another copy via another path from another
WIDE, then it has not seen "that" packet before and will
digipeat it again.

Yes, lots of dupes, but none of the dupes go "backwards"
they all go forwards...

Bob