[aprssig] Re: Is 9600 Baud Okay on 2Mtr's?

Rich Garcia k4gps at arrl.net
Wed Jan 5 13:31:27 EST 2005

West Crystals in BC. Yes it is cheating due to the exchange rate but still
not a problem. A lot of people are crystal "snobs" but I am not with some
exceptions as in Savoy or Bowmar stay away from those two. ICM will charge
you a kings ransom for a pair and yes they are good but they are crystals
not gold! I have had Repeater Elements done by West Crystal that were in a
boiler room in South Florida on a rooftop, talk about HOT! and never had one
problem with them.

I do not want to guess but to tell you the truth I quoted a little on the
high side since I have not had a set made in 3 years. They are on the web so
check them out, and WHENEVER you mail things to or from them note on the
customs forms "For Repair" Amateur Radio and claim $0 dollars. Use the
Postal Service also, much less problems than with UPS. Crystals only I think
were about $10 each last time I checked and about $20 each if you sent them
your elements for installation and tuning.

As far as Mitreks and Mastr II's you can find them at hamfests and e-bay all
the time for that price range. UHF command a higher price and so does the
100W versions but for APRS you do not want a 100w mobile, too much heat, too
much power and too much current. 50W turned down to 30w will do just fine
for a tracker or a digi.

Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=396&item=3950188125&r
d=1