[aprssig] Re: Is 9600 Baud Okay on 2Mtr's?

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Wed Jan 5 11:11:17 EST 2005

>  take a GE Mastr II or a Motorola Mitrek for $25 or
> $50 add $30 in crystals
> and have a true FM radio.

I've had a hard time finding these radios for cheap in the SF Bay Area
(but I'm new at this and not well connected yet). I ended up with
some Western Radio/Unimetrics units that seem to have been popular
in Canada, from Eric VE3EI, via his Swap Shop:
http://www.iescomm.ca/paccomm/swapshop.html

Even though it's my first time trying to do this, tuning them
up for APRS hasn't been too bad (still working on one of the
receivers). Eric seems to have a ton of these and the price
was certainly right. I have schematics and info for anyone who
jumps into this particular fray.

(I gotta ask, though - where do you get a pair of crystals for $30?)

73 de chris KG6VYD