[aprssig] WinLINK APRS Symbol

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:58:48 EST 2005

Cap,
I agree, the WinLINK ICON looks crummy in the current
set used by many programs, but that is the fault of the
ICON drawing they use.  Ill ask someone to improve on
this ICON to better match the original intent of this APRS Symbol.

See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/symbol-W.gif

for the intended WinLINK and other ARRL and ARES/RACES
overlayable symbols.,

Bob

>>> cap at cruzio.com 1/4/05 3:01:27 AM >>>
This looks really crummy in Ui-View32 (I see via firenet.us).  May I
suggest
instead the GATE symbol with the W overlay, "W&"?  We already have HF
GATES,
IGates, and SATGATES using that "&" symbol with their own Overlay
character,
so why not a "W gate" for Winlink, the radio to email gateway?  Sure
would
look better!
In Ui-View32 this would be called a "No. Diam'd, W O'ly" (Numbered
Diamond
symbol with W overlay character).

APRSdos/README/SYMBOLS.TXT says
29 Jan 2004:  Reviewed ALL symbols in the spec.  Here are all
additions:
   \& = is not just HF, but ANY GATEWAY with overlay character
<snip>

73, Cap KE6AFE