[aprssig] winlink

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:48:45 EST 2005

>>> "Kevin Brown - KC0CZI" <kc0czi at earthlink.net> 1/3/05 11:25:12 PM
>>>
>No doubt about it with all due respect to Bob -
>the D7/D700 are NOT best suited for full winlink functionality.

I think we agree, but in making statements, I think it is better to
simply
be more specific about the issues.  I wouldnt say it that way.
WinLINK is a system, and the D7 or D700 can use the "system".
What they dont do well is interface with some of the specialized
software used in the WinLINK system.  I'd say it as:

"The D7/D700 internal TNC's do not interface well with TelPac,
  but can be used easiliy with Hyperterm or plain packet software
  for simple WinLINK messages and emails without attachments."

I think that is the fair assessment...

Further, I think that TelPac software could be tweaked to
work "better" with the Kenwoods by working around some of
its quirks instead of simply amandoning them.

With over 10,000 mobile and portable users of these radios
out there, these are the people that are going to be your
first line of respondents in many cases.  Thus, I think it is
beneficial to figure out how to use them better and tweaking
the software to match rather than simply writing them off because
their internal TNC's are a little different....

Just a perspective from a mobile and portable packet user.

de WB4APR, Bob