[aprssig] winlink

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:03:39 EST 2005

>>> spider at rivcom.net 1/3/05 1:09:48 PM >>>
>No it's not just for emergency use....not at all.
>[but] just because you send someone a [short email]
> does not mean you are going to get a [short one] back.
> And you have to deal with that somehow.

When one logs onto a WinLINK node with a D7 or
D700 and does a LIST-MINE, I assume it gives back
a list of Emails and their size.  Then If I see
something that is over say 5k or has attachmetns
then I will wait and download that later.  But if I have
several  small emails, I will just read them with the
D7 or D700.

I think we are still taking apples and oranges.  I will use
my D7 or D700 in simple ASCII mode to logon to
WinLINK to send and receive simple emails.  Adding another
layer ofI specialized software (Airmail or whatever) to do
a simple job like that is not efficient.

>f I sent you an attachment, you'd really be hosed.

No, I just wouldnt try to read it or download it ove
such a simple ASCII connection.  Id wait till  I had
a station that could handle it.

>What I am getting at is that is goes way beyone the one liners, is not
being
>developed for one liners.  Thus the D7/D700 will only touch the
surface of
>the capability you have in front of you.  It's like fighting a fire
with a
>1/4" swamp cooler line when you could have a 1-1/2 hose really working
for
>you!

You have mixed apples and oranges again.  "one-liners" are
what we use to refer to APRS Emails.  I am not taling about that.
I am talking about logging onto a WinLINK node using
Hyperterm (which is the only thing I can guarantee that I will
have in an emeregeny or routinely when I might need to
use this service)...  I call those small or simple emails.

>Btw, do you have a Winlink.org email address?

No, I logged onto a local WinLINK and sent
a message.  Then several days later I logged on and
got 2 messages, one was a bulletin kind of message and
another one was from a friend.

It worked grreat and I used a D700 to do it.
I just logged on again and sent you an Email and a message
I guess I need a WinLINK.org email address to allow
me to get emails from wb4apr at winlink.org?  But then
I would never routinely check there for emails.
I am leary of having multiple Email accounts...?

Again, my interest in using my mobile D700 or D7 is to
simply:
1) be able to send and receive messages (no attachments)
2) be able to send emails from mobile or portable needs.

I agree completely that to do bulk transfers of verbose
emails with attachments and html and all the junk that
is called emails these days, then a more capable
TNC ***and*** somehting other than a 1200 baud
channel would be needed.

Bob

Im not clear