[aprssig] Re: PHG Protocol Antenna Gain

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 3 10:57:16 EST 2005

Ev makes a good case fo PHG to be in dBi and not dBd.
I'm thinking of changing  it to dBi.  It was not really defined
in the spec.  I nailed it down to dBd a few months ago,
but think that dBi is better.  Bob, WB4APR

>>> "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev at arrl.net> 1/1/05 4:20:29 PM >>>
Hi Bob,
I hear word that you were recently asked about the Gain-scale for PHG
and
decided it would be dBd.  Of course, it is your protocol, but may I ask
that
you consider dBi?

The argument for dBi goes like this...

...since there is no negative gain component in the PHGra/ protocol
and
...PropNET uses PHGra/ in every transmission and
...on HF, there are folks with antenna "gains" that are less than a
    dipole; such as those running "Hamsticks" on 10 meters, etc

Therefore, PropNET has already adopted a dBi scale for PHG.

Would you consider similarly adopting dBi-based Gain as it applies to
PHG as it
is used within the APRS service?

Kind regards,
Ev Tupis, W2EV