[aprssig] APRS Monitoring and Winlink activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 1 11:44:55 EST 2005

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 01/01/05 2:02 AM >>>
>> Snooping on all the published packet/node frequencies,
>> So far, of 8 listed..., none seem to actually exist.
>
>Far too many of the nodes on the list don't exist.
>The telpac folks are aware of the issue and are going to have it
fixed...

And I hope they include an RF beacon once every 10 minutes
that includes an APRSposition, PHG range info and Freq.
This way we can do what APRS was originally desiged to do
and that was to scan all packet channels and "builld" live
network maps of connectivity of all AX.25 packet systems.
Based on actual connectivity and real systems instead
of outdated maps and lists.

In my opinion, all AX.25 systems on any frequency should
support the gneral digi alias of RELAY (with callsign substitution)
and should send thier beacon via a single RELAY hop so
that all systems are aware of all surrounding systems out
one hop that share a frequency.

Please note. THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO DO APRS
on another frequency!  It is to encourage all AX.25 systems
to use a consistent beaconing system so that monitoring
tools (ie, APRS) can be used to MONITOR digital channels
and to BUILD-UP based on LIVE DATA, what the network
and conectivity looks like on that channel.

This is why APRS has Position, PHG, Range, and free text
in its beacons.  Back in the 1990's all BBS's and NODES
were all encouraged to use it... and why all digital systems
should digi one-hop via RELAY to see what can hear what.

This revival of connectivity for emergency response is very
exciting to me.  Lets to it right so we are not forever chasing
outdated lists and maps of inoperative systems.

thanks
Bob, WB4APR