[aprssig] DIGI_NED 0.3.5 for embedded systems

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Feb 27 12:31:11 EST 2005

Something that's not a PC.  PICs, single-board computers, and so on.
Usually something without a full platform OS like Linux or Windows.

For Digi_Ned, this is an important step to make it usable on small devices
like the Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, or the ARM7-based TNC I'm working
on.  I know you've done work with PICs, and you've probably done programming
on a PC, too, so you can appreciate the differences.  You've got much less
processing power and memory to deal with, little if any memory management,
and often no file system.

Fortunately Digi_Ned looks to be pretty cleanly written, and it's in C -
probably the easiest language to port between devices.  Except for Java -
haven't done any embedded Java myself, but we've got a couple of Java
zealots here and I know I'm going to hear about if I don't mention it now.
=]

Scott
N1VG