[aprssig] (no subject)

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 20 01:06:10 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) wrote:

> Don't be too afraid of running a PC at a remote site.  When a PC is set up
> for a specific task, it is much more reliable than you might think.  Extreme
> temperature issues can be overcome.  Putting the PC in a simple plywood box
> goes a long way to controlling temperature extremes if needed.  You can
> insulate the box if needed.  If you can get away from the hard drive and run
> off of a floppy and RAM disk like Henk said, then you are almost 100% solid
> state which is not far off from your TNC.

You can also go with flash drives in IDE or PCMCIA adapters. so that
the computer sees them as an IDE hard drive.  That's a quick way to
get rid of rotating media.  Just make sure the computer doesn't try
to write to it all the time else you'll burn up your flash and have
to replace it.  Reading is fine.

This setup is good for mobile platforms like SAR vehicles.  Flash is
getting cheaper all the time.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer