[aprssig] (no subject)

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Sat Feb 19 22:16:49 EST 2005

For another project Gerry is aware of, that I was involved in, we hardened
(at that time) single board 386's and ran them on solar power. No hard
drive, otherwise pretty stock. Another set of computers running QNX were
deployed submerged 2-8 meters in shallow bays and estuaries. The computer
was not what caused data loss- always a sensor or something else. Well,
with the exception of running out of batteries, but that is trivial physics
and math. You can't burn more energy than there is :-)

At 09:12 PM 2/19/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Er... I'm in the process of selecting, then hardening, computers for
>weather site installation that will have to function for periods of up to
>three years in extreme conditions.  I don't expect to do this with normal
>E-machines or Dells, but I do expect to select and build out essentially
>stock hardware and see them work.
>
>It's not that hard.

       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!    EL17HQ
    _|****|   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-8 Home
   ( |    |   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-9 Mobile
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  www.mearle.com/mark