[aprssig] (no subject)

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) ajfarmer at spenet.com
Sat Feb 19 19:56:36 EST 2005

I've been running an IGate at a remote site for well over a year.  It is an
old Pentium PC running UI-View and it is located in an old barn.  There is
no climate control, other than a fan to keep the transmitter and TNC from
heating up in the summer.  The Internet connection is via a 802.11b wireless
HSMM link.  I can access and control the PC remotely over the Internet
and/or RF with no problems.  I have a couple other installations like this
too - inside old structures with no climate control.

Don't be too afraid of running a PC at a remote site.  When a PC is set up
for a specific task, it is much more reliable than you might think.  Extreme
temperature issues can be overcome.  Putting the PC in a simple plywood box
goes a long way to controlling temperature extremes if needed.  You can
insulate the box if needed.  If you can get away from the hard drive and run
off of a floppy and RAM disk like Henk said, then you are almost 100% solid
state which is not far off from your TNC.

Amateur Radio is supposed to be about innovation and experimenting with new
methods, right?  Give it a try! :-)

73!

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com