[aprssig] APRS routing strategies

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 18 09:28:14 EST 2005

I think there is still a lot of c onfusion about the New n-N paradigm.

1) When we say WIDE2-2 is universal, that means that it will
    absolutely work everywhere.  It doesn't mean we are
    recommending it for everyone everywhere at all..

2) 90% of the country does not have the problem of the only
    seven  metro areas that suggest only WIDE2-2.  And even
    those areas only RECOMMEND WIDE2-2 for all  users, but
    in most cases will let 3-3 work and only trap 4-4 and above..

3) and so that 90% of everyone everywhere else are probably
     welcome to use WIDE3-3  everywhere and even 4-4 on the
     open road.  Even in LA where EVERYTHING coming in is
     trapped to one hop in the LA basin, a 3-3 will be digipeated
    once and is GUARANTEED to hit an IGate..

This really isnt any big impact on anyone.  Think of it as a

* GREAT SIMPLIFICATION*    for everyone.

Specifically to answer your quesion.  Yes TRACEn-N is
going away but it is *replaced* with WIDEn-N which
will perform exactly the way TRACEn-N used to work.
Every path will now be traceable with WIDEn-N.

And by moving WIDEn-N to replace TRACEn-N this
leaves the UIFLOOD system available for other uses.
Such as SSn-N for your state.  That way for statewide
drills or nets everyone in the state can run SS5-5 for
example and hit everywhere in the state, with zero
dupes and zero QRM hitting cities 5 digis away in
other states...

Just set UIFLOOD to SS,30,ID  (where SS is your state)

For UIDIGI, dont go burn new EPROMS yet until
we see if we can get the author to make a few
changes first...

thanks
Bob

>>> schiers at netins.net 2/18/05 7:33:38 AM >>>
OK, with the new recommendation of WIDE2-2, and given our network of
ui-view32 and ui-digi's already supports TRACE2-2 instead of WIDE2-2,
is
there any reason we cannot continue to support TRACEn-n as well as
WIDEn-n
(HERE IN IOWA, not everywhere)? While working on the network it is
quite
valuable to be able to tell exactly what path is being used by mobiles
as
they drive around in Iowa. The only difference as far as I can tell is
that
the packet is longer in TRACEn-n, which we can easily tolerate
here...so I
ask a simple question:

Is there a compelling reason that we cannot continue to use TRACEn-n
instead
or in addition to WIDEn-n? We use both, but do a lot of targeted
testing
with TRACEn-n.

After all the dust has settled, it appears we don't need to change a
thing
here, with the exception of trapping large number WIDEn-n and TRACEn-n,

which we can easily do (I think) in UI-View32 by putting the high
numbers in
the the ALIAS list.

I have no idea what we need to do with our UI-DIGI's, in terms of high

number trapping at this point.

Do I have this right, now?

73,

...hasan, N0AN