[aprssig] APRS routing strategies

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 17 18:44:31 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Henk de Groot wrote:

> I explained what could be simpeler. One alias that is replaced by the DIGI
> with a path that is very specific for that area, and perfectly matched to
> the topography and load in that area... And this without changing the path
> and auto adjusting while you drive from one area to another area. That is
> simpeler too me and works without looking at some kind of front pannel
> wile driving (in other words, its also safer).

A similar thing in the wired world would be DHCP, where the computer
asks the network what appropriate parameters are for talking on that
network, then abides by them.  The user plugs in the equipment and
it always works, at least if the network admin is doing their job.

We'd get a lot more people/keep a lot more people in APRS if it were
less confusing and more homogenous.  A new user these days has a lot
to take in.

If there were auto-configuration via the local network it'd be easy
for the mobile/portable user to move about the world without
worrying about messing up local RF/worrying about whether their
posit was making it into an igate or even across town.

We've limped along with this manual transmission long enough and
need to upgrade to one of these whiz-bang new automatic
transmissions.  Keep the manual tranny around for advanced users/for
special circumstances, but relegate it to only those uses.