[aprssig] APRS routing strategies

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 16 18:40:34 EST 2005

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 2/16/05 6:02:23 PM >>>
>So I will step down from my soap box and watch the
>"new paradigm" stopgap "solution" unfold. Up to now I only
>saw the confusion grow, kudos to anybody that still knows
>how the configure their digi according the most recent
>proposal (where "most recent" means just that, a moving target).

Yes, it has been a learning experinece with good input from
everyone.  But for those that missed the final solution that came
out of this group evolution, it is this:

USER RECEOMMENDATION:  use WIDEn-N where
N is appropriate for your area.  2 in big overloaded APRS
cities.  3 Most everywhere else. 4 in the vast expanses
out west. etc...  If you operate special state or section nets,
use SSn-N for your state for those specific nets.

DIGI SETTINGS:  Simple:

 UIFLOOD SS,30,ID
 UITRACE WIDE,30
 UIDIGI RELAY,WIDE4-4,WIDE5-5,WIDE6-6
    This last one you set to the higher 3 N's that
    you want to trap out of the network.

The other improved settings for the Beacon Position and
timing have not  changed in the last year.

If you have a PacComm ROM, then see the web
page...

AND FUTURE DIGIS:  If you have a new TNC digi
that can support WIDEn-N and can trap abuses better,
then we welcome it to the network!  Please Dont let
today's optimizing of the network hold you back from
developong a new TNC, just dont break what works
now... and provide for a transition unitl all digis are
replaced..

de Wb4APR, Bob