[aprssig] APRS routing strategies

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Feb 16 17:31:04 EST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Ryan Tourge wrote:

>  but what if the digipeater could determine how to
> route a packet based on the position information sent with it?

Because not all packets have position information?  E.g., messages or
the (abominable) weather station without a position.

The concern is bandwidth utilization, and hopcount is a major factor in
the bandwidth picture.

We could limit hops based on physical distance, but that's a bad idea
because of things like band openings, balloons, satellite operations,
etc.

-Jason
kg4wsv