[aprssig] New symbol for Winlink/IRLP/Echolink nodes needed??

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 16:53:52 EST 2005

With all the recent intense discussion of Winlink posits on APRS, I
would like to raise a related issue.

     Is a new APRS symbol for Winlink/IRLP/Echolink nodes needed??

As many on this list know, I have been updating the APRS symbol set and
  was about to release (in the next 2-3 days) yet another update
downloadable in UIveiw, APRSplus and Win/MacAPRS formats.

I just received an email off-list that included a revised version of my
revised symbol set.  The correspondent said he had been using the red
diamond (ARRL/RSGB) symbol in the secondary set to mark WinLink nodes,
and thought my version of this symbol wasn't bold enough.

QUESTION 1:
     Is this symbol customarily used for Winlink/Echolink/IRLP ?

QUESTION 2:
     Is the current "TCP/IP" symbol the one to use for this?

QUESTION 2:
      Should we define a new symbol for this purpose? I am thinking of
something like a box with the upper half colored blue (for the sky) with
"RF" on it and the lower half colored beige (typical color of PC
cabinets) with "IP" on it.

I'll delay the release of the updated symbol set until I get some
feedback on this issue.

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com