[aprssig] IGate wildcards/Telpac data

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Feb 15 12:18:18 EST 2005

On 2/15/05 at 10:38 AM AE5PL Lists <HamLists at ametx.com> sent:

>Sorry Steve, this is the only issue.

Again, to me it is almost a non-issue, the real issue is whether it is
appropriate to risk the RF networks and the good name of the APRS Internet
System in exchange for making it easier for an IGate to send out Telpac nodes.

>You were copied on a private
>conversation because findu does not support any 9 characters for a
>callsign.  That was the only reason you were copied.  You took it upon
>yourself to take the PRIVATE conversation to this public SIG.  I will
>NEVER copy you again on any PRIVATE conversation as you obviously do not
>have the ability to respect those involved.
>
>You are no longer on my copy list for that private thread (or any other)
>and I hope the others remove you, as well.

Well, sorry if you don't like the light of day, but there was nothing in any
communication to suggest this was in any way confidential. You can choose to run
away with your tail between your legs, but it is my strong opinion that the
filter based method of limiting IGating is a bad idea, and I will continue to
lobby against it.

I supported the concept of Telpac nodes on the APRS Internet System, but if it
is done in a method that relies on filters to exclude non-local data, then I
withdraw that support, the harm it wouldcause to APRS outweighs the benefits in
my opinion. For the Winlink people cc'ed in this, I urge you to listen to the
will of all APRS users, while the discussion is just beginning on the APRS SIG,
so far three people besides myself have objected to this filter based method,
and none other than Pete have spoken in favor of it.

Also for our WinLink guests that are not used to the APRS way, this is business
as usual...

Steve K4HG